Accurate rainfall measurement is crucial for vineyard management. The databaum rain gauges can provide precise rain measurements when calibrated correctly. This guide is tailored for databaum users who typically use a 0.2mm bucket size.
Before recalibrating, ensure the rain gauge is:
- Horizontally installed! Otherwise the values depend on the wind direction.
- Not obscured by objects like fastening rods, trees, or buildings.
- Clean the rain gauge to ensure no debris affects the readings.
- Check your screw color and the setting in the databaum platform as follows.
Initial Measure Test
To check accuracy:
- Precisely measure 500 cm³ (500 ml) of water with a digital scale.
- Let the water flow evenly into the gauge over 30 minutes.
If the readings are off, proceed to recalibration.
You can either recalibrate the sensor or do the change via the app. Both has usually the same effect, but if you are off by a lot, please do it via the sensor.
To recalibrate the gauge (sensor):
- Locate the hex key screw under the tilting spoon.
- Adjust the measurement values:
- Increase readings: Turn the screw clockwise.
- Decrease readings: Turn counterclockwise.
To recalibrate via the app:
Just enter the new value in the databaum app. For example
0.195 instead of
Testing and Adjustment
- Perform the initial measure test again with
500 cm³of water.
- Readjust the screw as needed until the correct readings are achieved.
For typical databaum users (0.2mm Bucket Size) (please check the screw color first!):
- Water per Tipping:
- Tippings for
0.5 Liter: Should be
- Precipitation Measurement: Should register as
For other rain sensors, refer to the following table.
|Screw color||Resolution||Water in the cup per tipping||Tippings for 0.5 liter||Precipitation in mm with 0.5 liter|
|Blue||0.10 mm||2.0 g||250||25 mm|
|Red||0.20 mm||4.0 g||125||25 mm|
|Green||0.25 mm||5.0 g||100||25 mm|
|Yellow||0.50 mm||10.0 g||50||25 mm|
|N/A||1.00 mm||20.0 g||25||25 mm|